Quick Guide insert:
Quick Video Guide - Connection Manager overview
Internet and the Connection Manager
Step 1: Connecting to the Iridium GO! exec device
There are 2 ways to connect to the device:
Wireless via Wi-Fi:
• User can connect any smart device or laptop using the Wi-Fi. The user would then be able to manage their internet connection via the device’s touchscreen UI and use the desired PC or smart device application.
Wired via Ethernet:
• User can use the ethernet port to connect to another device using an ethernet cable. The user would manage their internet connection via the device touchscreen UI and use the desired applications on their laptop.
For detailed instructions on connecting to the device via WIFI/Ethernet/etc, please see Knowledgebase article: Iridium GO! exec - Connecting to the Device
Step 2: Connection Manager
Once the Iridium GO! exec indicates it is registered on the Iridium network, it supports up to 88 Kbps data speeds for downlink and 22 Kbps for uplink. To start an internet connection, select the Internet icon from the home screen of the Device or the App. The device comes equipped with a Connection Manager feature that offers the users the ability to manage data usage by the following:
1. Selecting a Web/App profile
Any Device that connects to the Iridium GO! exec network (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) can access the internet through the Iridium GO! exec. To optimize your internet connection (and speed), the user can use the Web/App Profile. Select the Web/App Profile that best suits user’s need from the Web/App Profile drop down menu.
Select “All Open” if you are unsure. WARNING: All traffic is allowed with the All Open setting which might incur high data usage.
- See Web/App Profile for hints in the Manual on using profiles.
- See Iridium GO! exec - Recommended Apps for a list of compatible apps that have been tested with the Iridium GO! exec.
- See Iridium GO! exec - Creating and Managing Custom Web/App Profiles for details regarding customized Web/App Profiles.
You can also change a session’s Web/App Profile while a session is active.
IMPORTANT: Unless specificed, most mobile apps are not optimized for satellite data usage. It is highly advised to first write messages/emails, then connect the data profile of the exec, send and receive data as needed, then manually Disconnect the data session to avoid excessive data usage and 'bill shock'.
2. Selecting a session duration
You can select a duration for your internet connection to control the usage and costs. The Iridium GO! exec will close the internet connection when this duration expires. This can be useful if you are busy with other tasks and forget to close the session manually. You can also extend a session choosing a new duration while a session is active.
3. Starting the session
To start the session, press the large blue button marked “Connect”. The Iridium GO! exec will
show “connecting” while it is connecting to the internet and then “Connected”.
See the Manual FAQs for Troubleshooting options if your Iridium GO! exec cannot connect to the Internet.
4. Stopping the session
If a session is active, you can stop the session by pressing blue button marker “Disconnect”. This will close the satellite internet connection immediately. To restart the session, simply press the blue button now marked “Connect”.