This article will detail the steps of troubleshooting your Iridium 9575 device depending on the issue you are experiencing.
Scroll down to the heading pertaining to your issue and follow all steps indicated.
If you are still unable to resolve the issue, or require further assistance, please reach out to our support team.
Power On Issues
- Did you press and hold the power button (at the top of the device, to the right of the antenna and next to the SOS button) for a minimum of three seconds to turn the phone’s power on?
- Is the battery charged? Charge the battery for at least an hour and then try powering it on again.
- Does the device power on, only when connected to the charger? The battery might be faulty, especially if old.
- Is the battery pack properly fitted? Use the "D" ring to lock it in, as well as use both thumbs to firmly press the battery in on both sides.
- Do you have a spare battery that you can test in the device? Does it power on with the spare fully charged?
- Do you see a power-on error? Review: Iridium Extreme - Power On Messages
Battery & Charging Issues
- Is the charger properly connected to the device using the adapter at the base of the phone? Are its contacts clean and dry? Check the charger Iridium Extreme - Charging, USB, Antenna Adapters and Iridium Extreme - AC (Wall) Travel Charger
- Is the device hot/warm or normal temperature? Check the battery temperature. If it is warm, let it cool before charging.
- If you see ? on the display near the charging icon, you cannot charge this battery. Make sure you have an Iridium approved battery installed.
- Are you using the AC wall charger to charge the device? Try charging using a DC (Car Charger) or using the USB cable to connect the device (via the adapter) to the computer (via the USB port).
- Is it an old battery? Battery performance declines after several years of use. Do you have a spare battery? If not, you may need to replace the battery with a new one.
- Is there any noticeable damage to the battery? Or is there any water damage to the device?
Battery Drain/Battery Performance Issues
- Are you in an area with an obstructed view of the sky? When the device is searching for satellites it uses extra battery power.
- Is your antenna fully extended and correctly angled up toward the sky? This helps use less battery power.
- Is it a new battery? A new battery needs 2 to 3 charge/discharge cycles to attain normal performance. You may also need to leave it to charge overnight.
- Is it an old battery? Battery performance declines after several years of use. Replace the battery.
- Is it a battery that hasn’t been completely discharged? Allow the battery to fully discharge (until the phone turns itself off) and then charge the battery overnight.
- Are you using your phone in extreme temperatures? At extreme hot or cold temperatures, battery performance is significantly reduced. Keep the battery at room temperature. Never expose batteries to temperatures below 0°C (32°F) or above 45°C (113°F) when charging.
SIM Card Issues
- Is the SIM card correctly inserted in the device? The cut-off/slanted edge should line up perfectly in the slot.
- Is the SIM card clean? The contacts of the SIM card may be dirty. Turn the phone off, remove the SIM card and rub the contacts with a clean cloth. Re-insert the card in the phone.
- Is the card visibly damaged or scratched? SIM cards are typically durable but if accidentally damaged, you may need a new SIM card.
- When you inserted the SIM card, and closed the SIM tray, did it lock into place (usually a "click" sound is heard).Check to make sure the SIM is correctly inserted and locked into place. Iridium Extreme - SIM Card Error - Insert a Valid SIM card
Is the SIM card you are using active? You can check the "Manage Prepaid Refill" section of your account (for prepaid cards) or "Airtime Plans" (for monthly plans) to see what services are active, if you know the satellite phone number assigned to the specific SIM ICCID.
- Where are you using the device from? Are you outside? Ensure you are in an area with an open view of the sky and no obstructions close by. Trees, buildings, vehicles (including vessels such as boats) can act as forms of obstruction/interference.
- Is the antenna correctly positioned? Extend the antenna, lock it in and point upright towards the sky directly above in order to receive a signal.
- Are you attempting to connect to the network while the charging base (antenna pig tail base) is connected to the device? Remove it and try again. The charging base can act as interference. Iridium Extreme - Charging, USB, Antenna Adapters
- Did you power the device on, when you were inside? If your phone was powered on inside of a building or area with an obstructed view of the sky just prior to attempting a call outside, the phone may be temporarily in a power saving mode to conserve battery life. You may either wait for it to automatically exit the power saving mode within a minute or two on its scheduled interval or just simply turn off your phone and turn it on again to accelerate the registration process.
- Is there any noticeable damage to the antenna? Did the device suffer any water damage? If not, complete a reset to defaults to attempt to resolve the network issues (Note: your information will not be deleted, but previously configured settings will need to be re-configured Iridium Extreme - Factory Reset
Outbound Call/Text Messaging Issues
- Is the antenna fully extended and correctly angled? Do you have a clear unobstructed view of the sky?
What is the device's signal strength? Check the signal strength indicator in the upper left corner of the screen. If the signal is weak, ensure that you have a clear line of sight to the sky and there are no buildings, trees, or other objects interfering. We need 2-3 bars of solid signal to complete a call.
- Are you using the correct dialing pattern to make calls and send text messages? Ensure you use the 00 or + prefix before the country code. Iridium Extreme - Placing an Outgoing Phone Call
- Is Restricted displayed? Check the Call Barring setting in Set-up on the device. If enabled, disable when you are in an area with good network coverage. Select: Menu > Setup > Call Options > Call Barring.
- Is fixed dialing enabled in set-up? If so, you can only make calls to numbers or prefixes that are on the list. Select: Menu > Setup > Call Options > Fixed Dialing.
- The cellphone that you are calling or texting, are they able to receive calls/texts from international/satellite phone numbers? Have them check with the cell service provider to confirm if there are any restrictions. (Country codes: 881 Iridium, 870 Inmarsat)
- Is the messaging service center number correctly stored? You must ensure that 00881662900005 is saved in Menu > Messages > Settings >Service Centre to be able to send messages. Iridium Extreme - Unable to send SMS
Inbound Call/Text Messaging Issues
- Is the antenna fully extended and correctly angled? Do you have a clear unobstructed view of the sky?
- Is the device powered on? You won't be able to receive calls unless the device is on and connected to the network. If the antenna is stowed, you will receive the same call notification but the display will read 'Call Attempt'. You will need to extend the antenna and press the green key to accept the call.
- Is the ringer off? Check the Ringer setting. If it is off, there is no audible ringer.
- Do you have Call Barring or Call Forwarding enabled? Confirm in device setup menu under 'Call Options' and disable when you are in an area with good network coverage. You must have network signal to enable/disable these features. (Screen indicates 'Registered' with 2+ signal bars in the upper left).
- Does the caller/texter (the cellphone / landline) have any restrictions on calling or texting satellite devices or international numbers? Have them check with their cell service providers.
- Is the caller/texter using the correct dialing pattern to call the satellite device? Have they included the 00 or + prefix in front of the 8816 satellite phone number? Note: Some landlines and mobile providers might require a 'country exit-code' instead of +/00. IE; From a US/Canada landline phone, dial: 011 8816 XXX XXXXX
- Is the caller dialing a dedicated US+1 assigned phone number? Confirm that they are dialing the correct number. NOTE: Dedicated US +1 numbers cannot receive SMS. The 8816 satellite number must be used.
- Is the caller using 2 stage dialing? Confirm that they are dialing 1-480-768-2500, and when prompted, they are entering your correct satellite phone number. How do I call using Iridium two stage dialing?
- Is the messaging service center number correctly stored? You must ensure that 00881662900005 is saved in Menu > Messages > Settings >Service Center to be able to receive text messages.
- Can you receive text messages on your satellite device from the Iridium Messaging website successfully? Send a test message to your 8816 satellite phone number: Iridium Messaging
- If outbound calls work but not inbound, the SIM card might not match the satellite service number in your records. Make a call to a mobile phone and ensure the number on the caller ID matches your records, and is what is being dialed. Alternatively, contact Customer Care to check the satellite service number associated to the SIM card.
- SMS messages are only received when the satellite constellation knows where you are. Place a call to the Iridium Test number immediately after the device shows Registered on the network. This will ensure the device is seen on the network and any pending messages will be received. Iridium Test number: +1-480-752-5105
- Is the SIM card you are using active? You can check the "Manage Prepaid Refill" section of your account (for prepaid cards) or "Airtime Plans" (for monthly plans) to see what services are active, if you know the satellite phone number assigned to the specific SIM ICCID.
- Is the default voicemail number stored in Voicemail settings? You must store the voicemail service center number +881662990000 before you can access the service. Go to: Menu > Voicemail > Voicemail Settings > Number > enter +881662990000 > Save.
Calls (unanswered) not going to Voicemail? Is call forwarding correctly routed to Voicemail? Make sure the phone is turned ON, is registered on the Iridium network and has good signal strength. Then check:
- In 'Menu' scroll down to and select 'Setup'.
- Select 'Call Options' - 'Call Forwarding', wait until the list of options appears.
- Select the desired option: 'All Calls', 'If Busy', 'If No Answer' or 'If Unavailable'.
- Select 'Voicemail' from the list, wait until confirmed.
- Unable to access voicemails left by callers? Ensure the correct steps are being followed. Iridium 9555 & 9575 Extreme - Accessing Voicemail
- Have you enabled GPS on the device? By default it is disabled. Navigate to the Main menu> Location Options > GPS Options > GPS On/Off > Enable